Sunday, January 3, 2010

Great Expectations

There's something incredibly sacred about God speaking to His people. With all that goes on around us, unless we're really listening and engaged with God, we'll miss what He's trying to tell us. That's why I love to spend time with God first thing in the morning - while I savor a cup of coffee in my oversized chair, before the rest of the house awakes, and prior to getting in the shower and attending to the ever-growing "to-do" list.

Today, God spoke to me. Both my daily devotional and the sermon at church spoke of how BIG our God is and the expectations we have when it comes to our relationship with Him. I was deeply touched by the messages in both as I became aware that while I have the knowledge of who God is and what He can do, I don't always expect those things of Him and it turn, rely on my own or others abilities to come through for me. This, of course, leads often to heartache, disappointment, and failure as nobody can be everything to me the way that God can.

This may seem simple and obvious, but it became clear to me that with new goals, needs to come a new attitude with renewed expectations. So, in answer to the question, "What do I expect from God this coming year?," my response is that I expect the God of miracles to work a miracle in me - to transform me into the person He desires me to be and redeem me from my past mistakes and weak expectations. Why? Because He's BIG enough to do so! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment