Sunday, July 10, 2011

A New PR!




As part of my half-marathon training, yesterday I was scheduled to run 3 miles. I decided earlier in the week to sign up for a 5K because it's 3.1 miles, the competition is invigorating and motivating, and I get a t-shirt which only adds to my ever-growing collection...lol!

I woke up early yesterday morning, ate a lite breakfast, had my morning devotional and prayer time, and then made the 30 minute drive to the race location. Honestly, I was a little nervous once I got there. I hadn't raced since March, right before I started my new job and of course, before I broke my foot. I've been running every other day the past two weeks, but wasn't really expecting a whole lot time-wise. (I suppose you could say I was just going to be happy if I finished the race without walking.) As part of my prayer time, I had specifically asked God to be with me during the race, for His power and strength to be within me. Let's just say - He came through.

I began the race feeling "slow" and for whatever reason, I had a horrible ache in my abdomen. But I pushed through it, telling myself to "keep going, you can do it." There were a couple hills and I found myself just blasting right through them and then picking up the pace to the finish. I wasn't sure how I did because I didn't see the race clock as I passed the finish line. So, I waited for the results to be posted...

Finally, after probably a half hour to forty-five minutes of waiting, the results were in! I looked for my age group, found my name, and dragged my finger over the page to the right to see the results. Shock. Awe. Unbelief. A smile. I had finished the race in the Top 10 for my age group (#6) with a time of 24:37 (pace of 7:56/mile) - my fastest time yet! A new PR! To say I am happy is an understatement - I am THRILLED!

This is really a testimony of God's power and strength in the life of a girl who is wanting to live her best for His glory. As I said before, I haven't raced since March, I spent 7 weeks not doing any cardio due to my broken foot, and I only started running hard again in the past two weeks. This can only be God working out His goodness and faithfulness in my life. I praise Him and offer thanks to Him for being with me and allowing me to experience this victory. It encourages me to keep up the hard work and affirms that "I can do everything though Him who gives me strength (Philippians 4:13)." In Jesus' Name, Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment