Monday, March 1, 2010

Scripture Memory Verse #5

Happy March! I love it when a new month starts because when I look at the calendar I see a new beginning filled with exciting opportunities and endless possibilities. I am looking forward to what this month will bring!

The sunrise on my way to work this morning was breathtaking. For the first time in a long time, it feels like spring and it’s WONDERFUL! This time of year is incredible to me. After winter, it’s so refreshing to see everything come alive again and be reminded of God’s beauty and the wonder of his creation. I’m excited about spending more time outside, opening the windows to let the fresh air and sunshine in, and the smell of fresh cut green grass. It really doesn’t get any better than that, does it?

Because the sunrise was so inspiring to me this morning, I decided to look online to see if there was a verse that spoke about the sun. I found this one and loved it…

Psalm 19:5-6, NCV
"The sun comes out like a bridegroom from his bedroom.
It rejoices like an athlete eager to run a race.
The sun rises at one end of the sky
and follows its path to the other end.
Nothing hides from its heat.
"

One of the lines that caught my attention comes from verse 5… “It rejoices like an athlete eager to run a race.” This is very fitting because tonight I actually start my training schedule for the 5K I’ve decided to run on March 20th. I’ve continued with my healthy eating and exercise plan – as of today I’ve officially lost 8 pounds – and I really want to get outside and start running again. I know it won’t be easy, but I’m up for the challenge and feeling good about the opportunity to race in support of a good cause! I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

Now, to get to my scripture memory verse for the next 15 days… I was racking my brain trying to think of the area God would like me to focus more on in my spiritual life. I wasn’t quite sure where He was leading, but I got on my church’s website and learned that the first sermon of this month is going to center on prayer and its importance in the life of a believer. Prayer has always been an up and down activity for me. Sometimes I’m really consistent and fervent in my prayers and other times, I’m totally out of the communication loop with Him. I also don’t always know how to listen for God’s answers to my prayers or what I’m listening for exactly. Anyone else ever feel that way? Like you throw it out there and then…what? I’ve realized that prayer is something I really need to cultivate more of in my life. To be in God’s presence and lift everything up to Him, surrendering full control and letting Him take over from there…that’s what I need to do!

So, my 5th scripture for memory is Matthew 6:6 from The Message…

"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense His grace."

My hope is to not only memorize this verse, but put it into practice! Here's to prayer...Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment